Monday, January 3, 2011

Ceremony start times

So, when to begin? I read in a magazine, that only weddings in movies start "on time." (ugh damn you! knot.com!) Whether or not this is true has caused me to be nervous about my ceremony time. Now that we know the location and reception venue our time between the two can be rather close. However, here is where the problems begin!
Some stipulations Mike and I both have when we began to plan this wedding was that we wanted to enjoy all aspects of our wedding on the day of. We want to be apart of the cocktail hour and not be sequestered away in some small room hiding until we are "introduced" I still want to be introduced but I intend to enjoy all or as much of my cocktail hour as possible. Also, Michael and firmly believe in not seeing each other BEFORE I walk down the aisle. We want that moment we see each other all done up, waiting to be married to be special and yes, romantic. (ah tears!)
Some other key pointers to think of here:
Our cocktail hour doesn't start until 6pm so as to be sure all golfers have cleared the venue. (remember its a golf course?)
It's going to be August so presumably it's going to be hot!! And the ceremony is outdoors. We dont want grannies or for that matter anyone suffering or passing out in the sun.
The ceremony location is 2 minutes (if that) its just down the hill from the reception hall.

So here is the debate. Mom (love you Mom! <3) wants the ceremony to start at 5pm and end by 5:30pm. Leaving only a half hour in between.  I want the ceremony to start at 4pm and end by 4:30pm leaving an hour and a half in between.

Our Arguments:
Me: When does this leave time for pictures? I say in between the ceremony and reception we have time to do all the family formals and Michael and I's picture. An hour and a half may seem like enough but I know it will flyyyyyy by, especially with all the family portraits I know will be requested. Plus, I wanted to head across the street to the horse farm and take pictures over there. (my photographer Kiley) thinks this is the better choice too. So, what about the guests? Well, there is a beautiful garden to wander and spend time in and their is two beautiful ponds to walk around or they could spend time wandering up to the reception hall or venture across the street to the historic little museum. I know this seems cruel but I just don't know what else to do? If we had the wedding at the church our start time might have been as early as 1pm! That would have been four hours of nothing for the guests!

Mom: What about the guests!? The heat! Their boredom? Their hunger!

I get it, I feel the pain! :) So for all you future guests out there, and wedding guests of weddings past, what do you prefer!? Remember the beautiful gardens to wander in! Ah!



ps- vote for meeeeeee!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Quack Wedding Obsessed,
    Im not sure how I found your post but, it made me smile and got me through lunch! Thanks and congrats :) Happy planning ! Don't sweat the small stuff. It's your day, a once in a life time day and you should start when you want to start. You have great ideas for the photos and will need time to get it all done...As for your hungry bored guests..sounds to me like you have plenty for them to see while they wait. As for the hunger pains. You could always pass out an edible treat after the ceromony. chocolate covered mini pretzels are so easy to diy !
    best wishes
    Mrs Ripko

    ReplyDelete