Wednesday, January 12, 2011

DIY?

Ok so, I am all for do-it-yourself as long as it does not look do it YOURSELF! I just don't want anything I do or make to look...bad (?) I want everything to look professional but still crafty. So early in the days of scouting for wedding decorating ideas, I happened across this idea on theknot.com. To be fair, let me say I love buttons. I am not quite sure WHY I love buttons, but I love buttons. Strange, I know. Okay, so I saw this image:
And I was kind of obsessed. So I tried thinking about my own spin on things. I wanted to create this idea but make sure it also reflected my idea and theme. So tonight set out preliminary planning of this idea. I wanted to first see if this idea is truly something I could create. In my head I have this vision of a burlap type fabric with purple buttons backed on a weathered wooden frame. So keep this vision in mind when you see my rough design. Remember ROUGH design!



This was just using what I had on hand and the actual buttons I intend to use will be of more similar sizes. The fabric I used was un-ironed hence the bunching and again, so not my colors or intended fabric use. This only took 20 minutes of sewing and was really quickly thrown together. Also, the sharpie marks on the fabric obviously will not be on the burlap design.

Keeping in mind my general idea and concept here, is this idea plausible? Will it look...too handmade? too DIY? Again, remember burlap type fabric and weathered wood frames with purple buttons! My dad has awesome wood from an old barn that I intend to use if I decide to follow this through... Is this effort really worth my sanity and time? I am probably going to have to make 12-14 of them.

The floor is open... Honest opinions!!!!! trust me, I know this rough outline is really crap but try to envision final design. I personally do not think I will be sold on this idea until I get the actual materials I would be using and create the next "rough idea" but what are we all thinking here?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Erin!

    I think with the same sized buttons in uniform color will look great! I love it!

    ReplyDelete