Monday, November 1, 2010

Dress shopping minus Quacks

Yesterday was dress shopping! Unfortunately, the Quack side could not make it but maybe it was better that way. There was a LOT to try on and a LOT to look at. More people may have been overwhelming.
Our first appointment was at David's Bridal at 11:30. We started off with mom dresses. Right off I told my consultant, my mom is NOT going to wear those mom styles. You know, the one's with the jackets? My mom is hip, good looking and young! She does NOT need to dress like some dowdy lady. She needs to show off her cute figure and good looks! We found one favorite for her at David's but we were not ready to commit for her. Next up was my sister. While I am trying to allow her to have a say, it's hard because it's the one dress I DO REALLY care about besides mine. I wanted her to try on styles she likes and loves and styles I love. In my mind, prior to seeing ANY dresses I had the idea of a cute cocktail length dress that flared out and had fullness in the skirt. My style leans towards vintage with a little modern edge while my sister likes more modern dresses. Well, at David's there was no common ground. There were dresses I liked and dresses she liked but no mutually liked dresses.
Next up was an appointment at K's Wedding Center. This store had brands like Alfred Angelo, Bill Levkoff, Eden, Mori Lee and so forth. So this meant more options, more designs and styles. Well, we walked in and raided the racks. My sister tried on AT LEAST 30 dresses! We have two contenders. One I am calling the Tinkerbell dress and the other is classy and has a 50's edge to it. My sister liked both. One was an Alfred Angelo and the other is a Mori Lee. Both had wide ranges of colors for us to choose from.
My mom also tried on dresses here and found one in the Bill Levkoff brand that was absolutely stunning on her. Like if she doesn't buy it, I am going to go back and force her to buy it! lol! We had a MUCH better experience at K's. Our consultant had more personality, gave recommendations, showed us new looks and styles we wouldn't have considered and really was all out wonderful. She helped find dresses that brought together my sister and I's looks and styles and it was such a huge help. She wrote down all of our favorites and we are probably going to go back there to get the dresses.
We had lunch and then my sister had to go to work, so my mom and I went to Reginella's in Montgomery. We walked up to the store and a man was outside smoking. We went to open the door and he stepped in front of us and said "Do you have an appointment?"
Mom and I: "No, do we need an appointment?"
Bouncer: "You must have an appointment to shop in our store"

Well, at that point, I was done. I turned to walk away but he sweet talked my mom into coming in only to give her the store card and tell her to make an appointment. Well, excuse me. We made appointments at both of the other stores but I guess appointments are mandatory here. We wont go back.

Anyway, in my mind there are three top picks for my sister. The two we saw at K's and one dress that I got from the fabulous Kiley Mullen. Her bridesmaids wore the most amazing vintage style dresses. I asked her where they were from and she sent my the direct link! Now, this is a sign of an amazing photographer! One who is willing to  "Copying be the highest form of flattery" rather than be annoyed and tell me NOT to get that dress! I really love that one that Kiley sent us and my sister loves it too. Honestly, it most likely will end up being that dress but I want to see as much as I can since I want my sister to agree 100%.

On the whole, dress shopping was a success and I know in my mind more clearly the style I want. Now it is just decision time!

No comments:

Post a Comment