Thursday, November 11, 2010

Another mindless rant...

There are days were I am SO excited to plan this wedding and then there are days were I SO am not! Today is one of those days.
There are many difficult things to deal with when wedding planning. There is the budget, the opinions, where to have your ceremony, who's to be in the wedding party, contracts, ideas, squashed ideas, keeping others happy, keeping yourself happy and just plain planning all those damn details.

You have this vision in your head about your wedding day, you think it will all just come together easily. Then reality sets in. You forget that this planning process has several other people involved.

FIANCE

First off, your fiance. Now, my advice to all fiances is just say "YES!" to anything and everything your woman wants. BUT, that is not always the case. It is his day too. So if you want to jump yellow flowers but he hates the color yellow, hmm, not going to go over well. Well, maybe some guys wouldn't care but some would. Then, you have the other guy who really could care less and just wants to be told where and when to show up. Thankfully, my fiance leans towards the "just tell me where I have to be and when" HOWEVER, this does create some issues too! There are cases and times where you ask for his opinion and he could honestly care less about it. I have learned to pick and choose which topics I find most important and that I think he will actually care about before talking to him about them. I usually wait until the weekend and then try to take up as little amount of time as possible with the discussion. Otherwise, you tend to see the eyes glaze over and then you know you have lost them. Still it is very frustrating. I want to make decisions and sometimes have to wait until it's a good time to discuss these things.
Some funny sites for guys to check out: *not that any guy reads my blog, but hey, if they are:
The Ten Dumbest Reasons to Get Married
Groom Duties
Hell, just check out this whole site. It's awesome: The Plunge

FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTORS
So then you have the financial contributors. Every magazine tells you, listen to them because if they are contributing they have every right to make requests, share opinions etc. It's sometimes hard to do. Sometimes the opinions are great or something I never thought of or considered. But sometimes their vision, their idea and their opinion SO differ from yours its hard to take. Just listen, stay calm and then share your opinion and your reasons why you would like it a certain way. Try to accommodate their requests, even if it is sometimes a guest (or 2, or 3 or 10!) that they want to add. Try to make them see reason with why so and so that you don't even know should not be invited.
Check out The Knot for all budget related advice, including how to deal with these contributors

OTHERS
A.k.a those that should mind their own business

And then you just have your nosy-bodies who want to tell you what they did for their wedding or what you "have" to do for yours. Or they just plain make demands as if they are paying for your whole damn wedding. It gets annoying but try to not kill these people. I have decided that ignoring them, for me, works best in this situation. I have enough to deal with. Normal day to day stresses and then planning a wedding on top of that. These people with their demands are not something you should have to listen to and something I will certainly try to tune out.


Check out the first chapter free read ofTake Back Your Wedding: Managing the People Stress of Wedding Planning.by: William Doherty Ph.D and Elizabeth Doherty Thomas, for all advice and telling those who stress you out to, GO TO HELL!

I am frustrated today, hell, this week. And more Bridezilla then ever before. I am tired of the opinions. I am just hoping that the day I walk down the aisle it will be everything I imagined and more. But I guess, in the end, that is not what matters. What matters is that the person I am marrying, I love. I just want a day that reflects that. If I had a beer or a glass of wine right now I would raise it and say "Here's to hoping my day is as beautiful as the one I love"

Cheesy.

No comments:

Post a Comment